Good role models are becoming few and far between any more! With Father’s day coming up it would be easy to put dear ol’ dad at the top of the list. However the unfortunate reality of life is that in our society today, many dads are woefully disconnected from their families leaving young men to fend for themselves for good Godly role models.
So I hope as we put together this list of role models that you will have a jumping off point to create your own list of Godly men in your life to follow. Understand that this list is not meant to give you specific people but more of a tool to use to find those men in your life.
1. Your Pastor: It might be a youth pastor, a Senior Pastor, or possibly even one of the staff Pastors. If your Pastor is truly called to ministry, his heart will be for seeing you grow in Christ and that includes all areas of your life. Believe it or not, he has been through pretty well all the things that you have been through, he already knows about those things in your life that you struggle with, maybe not that YOU struggle with them, but he is well aware of the issues, most likely from struggles in his own life when he was a young man. Why would I consider him a good role model? He has already worked through the issues of life and through all the garbage of life, the attacks of the enemy, the lies of “friends”, the hurt of breakups and still through it all, willingly serves God and leads others to serve God as well. That is a man worth imitating and learning from. Are they perfect? NO, of course not, they make mistakes, and they might even disappoint you because they are working out their faith just like you are, they are just a little farther down the road is all.
2. An Elder or Deacon: Many churches have Elders, spiritual leaders in your church, many only have Deacons, servant leaders. Many of these men serve in those capacities because they have a heart for the people in their church. Each of them should feel called to serve in those positions and face it, you can tell when one of the guys truly likes serving the church. Much in the same way as your pastor, these men have all walked down the road before you. Some of them might not be too much farther down than you are right now. They might be skilled businessmen in an industry that you are interested in or maybe they are great with their families. Whatever the quality that you see in them, don’t be afraid to ask them about sitting down and visiting with you, most will be more than happy to visit.
3. An Industry Leader: This gets a little more into the realm of specific role models but there are great men out there that got to be leaders in their fields because they were not afraid of a challenge and they realize that the only way to keep the industry going is to mentor and train young men to keep it going. Don’t be afraid of asking for a meeting, especially if that industry leader goes to your church. Look around through the men in your church, attend one of the men’s fellowship meetings and get a feel for the guys that are there. Chances are, if they are attending a Saturday Men’s Breakfast or outing they are open to the idea of sharing their success.
4. Noteworthy Men: I know that this is not the greatest of options but when you feel like your options are limited, find someone that has made a name for themselves and read everything that you can about them, Biographies, Auto-Biographies, memoirs, and the like. Try to find out as much as you can about the person. Be bold, write the person a letter if they are still living and see if you can schedule a phone conversation. Explain that you aspire to similar positions in life.
5. Jesus: As the passage that we read today together suggests, Make everything that Jesus did and taught a guide for your life. Don’t misunderstand me placing Jesus at the bottom of the list as an order of importance, it is easy to say “follow Jesus” and everything will be OK. While it is true that if you follow Christ everything will be ok, many of us who are working through our faith need that tangible person to help us understand what and why Jesus did what he did. Many of the examples of Christ have cultural and historical context to them and don’t exactly translate to the modern 21st century young man. Of course I want you to follow Christ before you follow anyone else.
It is our prayer that you find a man or men that you can follow as they follow Christ!
Do you have other examples why not leave them in the comments below!
If you spend much time on social media these days you probably see post after post of memes, and quotes that say something like “A real man stands by his girl no matter what” or “The couples that are Meant To Be are the one who go through everything that’s designed to tear them apart and come out even stronger”. While all of these sayings sound good, they sound like solid relationship advice, especially to those that are just getting into the dating/relationship world, but as an older guy who has been down the road a bit, may I share some advice with you? If you are interested in / or dating a girl and her wall is filled with posts like this….
RUN…. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN! DON’T LOOK BACK, DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT ANOTHER NAME IN THE LIST OF EX’S!
The Cross Changes Things!
This last Sunday was Easter, and many of us walked into church looking just like we did each Sunday before. Week after week, the same routine, the same person, the same sinful man, hearing sermon after sermon about how we should live our lives and how we need to “repent”!
Then last Sunday happened! We were presented with a message about the sacrifice that one man made 2000 years ago! A completely selfless, undeserved, unwarranted, compassionate act of pure love! We were told that our creator choose to be placed on a cross to take all the sin that I have carried everyday of my life and to pay the price that I should have been required to pay.
We may have also been told that while he hung there, he uttered very few words but the words that he did say were a summation of His ministry while he was here. First he said “Father Forgive Them”, a prayer of forgiveness for none-other than Us, even 2000 years later! Second he spoke to the thief on the cross next to him, “Today you will be with me in Paradise” a word of Pardon, putting the sin aside without regard to what or how sever the sin was, then he showed the utmost compassion, he made provision for those he Loved in saying “Woman behold your son”. He looked after the smallest details.
After hearing all that on Sunday! When you left church, were you, are you different than you were this time last week? Knowing that Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God paid the ultimate price for you, bearing all your sins so that you don’t have to pay the price any more (Romans 6:23)
If not, what is it going to take to make a difference today? Comment below or on our Facebook page!
With all the severe winter weather we have been having around the country I thought it would be a good time to write a short article on cold weather gear for your car. When it gets cold, I don’t go hardly anywhere without my cold weather gear, especially if I plan on going out-of-town. Your gear can be customized to your needs and/or the climate you live in. My list is not the end all be all, but hopefully it will give you a starting place.
- Tools (I don’t go anywhere without them regardless of the weather.)
- Food (M.R.E. or the like)
- Extra set of clothes (jacket, pants, socks, gloves, hat, boots, etc.)
- Sleeping bag (blankets or emergency Mylar blankets can also be used)
- Cooking vessel (canteen cup, old small pan, or the like)
- Fire source (matches, lighter, etc.)
- Heat source (like fancy heat, the little cans caterers use)
- Sand (cat litter works as well, maybe even tire chains)
A few years ago I had a flat on the side of I-80 at 4:30 in the morning in the middle of December in Pennsylvania. Thankfully I had my gear with me so I was able to put on my spare without freezing off my hind quarters. Was it a desperate situation, probably not, but it could have been if I had been a desolate back road instead of an interstate highway. As they say, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
If you have suggestions for the list, feel free to add them in the comments. Travel safe!