Christian Guys Teams are groups that meet on a regular basis to provide training, accountability, support and prayer to guys 17 to 25. Regardless of age or background all Christian guys want to be the man who God has called then to be and being part of a Christian Guys Team can help.
Christian Guys Ministries Headquarters does not put out “cookie cutter” teams with a set of curriculum that the group must follow. Each team adapts to fit the size and “personality” of the group. The only guidelines if you will are…
- Teams should stay small with no more than 10 guys on any given team. However each church may have as many as necessary to accommodate all the guys that are interested in joining.
- Teams should meet as often as possible, ideally once a week, but can be as infrequently as once a month, the day and the time is determined around the availability of the team members.
- Teams should meet in places that are private as to afford the team members a safe place to talk openly about the things that are going on in their life without risk of being overheard, never should the team meet with only the Coach and one team member as to avoid any chance of slanderous comment or accusation.
Teams can be chartered through local faith-based organizations, including churches and para-church ministries. While each group is different, Christian Guys is have at its core several basic principles:
- Connections: The Team provides an open, supporting, and accepting atmosphere where guys can get together to talk about the struggles and trials they are going through without judgment or prejudice.
- Mentoring: Coaches will listen, encourage, and offer information and perspectives gained through experience.
- Practical Instruction: Teaching times focus on areas of common interest, offering inspiration and information that is relevant.
- Leadership Development: Christian Guys Teams are organized and run by Godly men who come from all walks of life. They may have backgrounds in ministry, business, agriculture, social services etc. Each coach will bring a unique perspective on leadership as well as providing the Team members the opportunity to grow into leadership positions on their or other teams.
The above principles can be carried out through different aspects of a Team:
- Discussion: The small and accepting atmosphere of a team offers guys a chance to share their successes, failures, questions, and concerns. It is during these times that guys realize that they are not alone, and lifelong friendships are formed.
- Teaching: Topics presented at Team meetings, can be anything from Rock Climbing techniques to deep Bible study. They are designed to challenge guys to take their life to the next level both in the world and in their relationship with Christ.
- Hand-on Experiences: Groups are encouraged to have “offsite” activities and trips. These can include the Christian Guys Conference or Annual Missions Trip or Team, Area or State activities. These times allow for Team building and stretching to know where each guy is and how far they need to go.